• October 18Boys varsity soccer team defeats Chicago Kelley 3-1 to continue their playoff journey

• October 16Aidan Lafferty finishes 3rd in state at IHSA state golf meet

• October 9=Senior Aidan Lafferty finished first in IHSA Sectional and is moving on to the state competition this weekend

From cars to the gridiron

Zain Bando, Sports Editor

During my early years, cars were at the center of my life. Attending car shows and learning about cars was all I did, until a shift took place. After watching a Bears-Packers game in 2008, I knew that all I wanted to do was become a sports fan.

No one told me to become a fan, I just did. I wanted to learn more, and become a part of a team, even if I could not play. Hours upon hours of research of teams, statistics, games, announcers, and everything in-between took over my life.

With my disability, it has taken years for me to find my inner self. Sometimes, I get lost in knowing what I am capable of because of my condition’s limitations. With that said, though, I always remember where I came from, and who my biggest supporters were.

During freshman year, it took me half a year to adapt to high school life. Sports were an area that I wanted to pursue, but I just did not know how I could be part of a team.

Around this time, broadcasting was easily my number-one forte.  I took it upon myself to become the unofficial play-by-play announcer of the freshman A football team. Parents and community members loved hearing me call games, especially the ones who could not attend. The coaches took notice, and invited me to join them for pregame ceremonies as an honorary captain.

Even though football was my favorite sport to cover, I wanted to have a deeper role in the program. My desire to achieve this goal led me to taking initiative my junior year to take on a new position: social media.

Therefore, in order to make an impact, I had to reach out. Through conversations with coaches and collaborations about ideas, @DGNFBLive was created. Everything from behind-the-scenes access of practice, to in-game content, was there for anyone to see.

I also took upon a winter sport: basketball. I kept the same concept, but wanted to stay busy in the winter time. This position allowed me to perfect my craft, and strive to become better.

I am excited to take on new opportunities in college. Media will continue to grow, and my generation will be at the forefront of it. Oh, and cars are still cool, too.

Zain Bando, Sports Editor

Senior Zain Bando is in his second year working with The Omega, but first as an official Staff Writer. In between watching UFC pay-per-views and NFL football, he can be seen at DGN covering a game or simply being a spectator at an event. In his free time, he enjoys being with his family and friends, eating lots of food, and gaining new knowledge of how to make his social media accounts better. He is looking forward to being the Sports and Multimedia Editor, as well as working with his fellow editor, Matt Carbon, whom he hopes will create a unique bond with him during the year. He can be reached via email ([email protected]) and also encourages you to follow him on Twitter (@zainbando99) to get the latest daily hot sports takes. Bando was also featured on WGN’s Instant Replay program Feb. 25 to recognize his work as the varsity football and basketball social media manager.