The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Always improving: new track and jumbotron approved for District 99

D99 Media
New possibilities: rendering of the outdoor jumbotron at DGN

After the success of DGN and DGS classroom and courtyard renovations completed in 2021, it is no surprise that District 99 has approved another renovation plan set to be completed during the summers of 2024 and 2025. In hopes of improving the school even further, the plan for both DGN and DGS includes a new outdoor track and turf field, indoor track, and a jumbotron for both the outside and inside to replace existing scoreboards.

Approved at the November District 99 meeting, the plan for payment will be discussed in the December board meeting. Although significantly less costly than the Master Facility Plan renovations, which added up to more than $136 million for DGN alone, this new proposal is estimated to cost a combined $4 million for DGN and DGS. 

The outdoor track, turf field, and both indoor and outdoor jumbotron are set to be completed by the end of the summer of 2024. The indoor track is set to be completed in the summer of 2025. The separation of project dates aims to avoid disrupting summer camps altogether and instead allowing camps to take place in one of the two locations.

The timing of this proposal reflects the success of DGN sports. This past fall, the football team placed second in state. Soccer also had a successful season, meaning many different sports will be able to take advantage of the new field. In addition, boys basketball placed fourth in state last school year, adding even more power to DGN sports teams. The new jumbotrons and field will make the atmosphere of these events even more exciting. The new design of the field will also embody more school spirit.

“I think there’s potential for the logo in the middle to look different. I think it’s going to be a Trojan face,” head football coach Joseph Horeni said.

The jumbotron will also allow for more student involvement. Students interested in video production will be able to run the video projected on the jumbotron. Possibility for graphics will allow artistic students to express themselves.

The renovations of the existing outdoor track are also reflective of DGN, as both the girls and boys on track and field were able to compete and place highly in state finals last season. The quality of the new track will increase the quality of our training. These renovations are also long overdue, says head track and field coach Matthew Maletich.

“There are spots in our track that have humps up, so they’re working on the drainage parts and flattening out that stuff so it won’t be as much of an issue and so they don’t have to repair it all the time,” Maletich said.

Additionally, the outdoor track will sport new colors. Although the final plan has not yet been laid out, there is the possibility of a black track with purple exchange zones. This will show more DGN spirit than the current red track. The color switch will not impact the material of the track.

“When it comes down to it, it has to be the thing that’s the most practical and lasts the longest, but they are interested in aesthetically making it have a different color exchange zone, which will look cool.” Maletich said. “I think it will be, in terms of high school, first class.”