Former DGS security guard charged with Indecent Solicitation of an underage student

Amelia Carlson, News Editor

A former security officer at Downers Grove South high school has been charged with Indecent Solicitation and Grooming of a Minor, after attempting to seduce an underage student with sexual messages.

Gonzalo Cesar Navejar turned himself in on Friday, April 24th, and was released after he posted $50,000 bail.

According to the DuPage County State’s Attorney’s Office, Navejar made contact with the underage student through social media websites in late October 2019. Once law enforcement got involved, Navejar was then put on paid administrative leave as the investigation continued.

“The allegations against Mr. Nevejar are, in a word, disgusting,” DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said in a statement, “Instead of protecting students, Mr. Navejar allegedly tried to engage in sexual activity with an underage girl to satisfy his sick sexual desires. Sexual predators are among the most vile in our society and anyone accused of such behavior, as alleged in this case, will find themselves looking at significant charges.”

The school district alerted The Department of Children and Family Service and Navejar was fired at the following school board meeting, according to an email sent by District 99 Superintendent Hank Thiele.

“We strive to foster a culture of trust and safety, and we are glad that the students involved told a trusted adult at the school about what they felt was unusual,” Thiele said.