Athletic accomplishments from the past decade

Madeline Schallmoser, Sports Editor

The past decade has consisted of 1 state champion title and 13 final four appearances across all of DGN athletics. The efforts of athletes, coaches, and administrators alike made the 2010s a decade of growth across countless programs.

DGN’s boys’ cross country team saw shocking success in its 2017 season.

The team placed first in State setting the record low point total in the history of the 3A class. The Trojans won first at Nike Cross Regionals and rounded out the season at Nike Cross Nationals, where they took fourth place against the best competition in the country.

The team placed second in 2013 and again in 2016, with the 2017 State-run being the pinnacle of years of dedication on behalf of the team’s then seniors.

“It was three years in the making. Those kids qualified as sophomores. The large majority of them were sophomores on the team, ran the state meet their sophomore year, and were 18th and getting down there,” head cross country coach John Sipple said. “Getting them that exposure and after getting that experience they were pretty hungry to go back and do it even better.”

Graphic by Anika Canamedi

Girls’ volleyball placed second in State during its monumental 2018-2019 season.

The team’s energy captivated the student body, precipitating in an outpouring of support from the Downers Grove community.

Head coach Mark Wasik attributed the success of the team to the work ethic, character, and drive of the athletes.

“This group of girls, not only were they just committed to play and developing just year-round, but they were just a mix of high character young ladies. It was just a special group of selfless kids who played for each other.” Wasik said.

Graphic by Mary Petersen   

Girls’ Swim and Dive made back to back state runs, placing second in State in 2013 and again in 2014. The 2013 team placed first in State in the 200M medleys and 400M freestyle relays.

Then senior Gabby Sims took first in the 100M Freestyle and 100M Backstroke events.

A 2010 relay group consisting of Gabby Sims, Allison Soper, Hailey Sims, and Maddy Simms set a state record time in the 200 medley relay.

The college-bound athletes to come out of DGN during the 2010s have made great strides across varying levels, from Division III co

Graphic by Mary Petersen

llege competition to Minor League Baseball to the NFL.

2014 graduate David Edwards became the first DGN alumni to appear in the NFL.

The Los Angeles Rams selected Edwards in the 5th round of the 2019 NFL draft.

He made his first career start Oct. 20, 2019, at right guard. The Rams are currently 6-4 with Edwards maintaining a steady starting spot and a consistent field presence.

2011 graduate Eric Jagielo was drafted out of high school in the 50th round of the 2010 MLB draft by the Chicago Cubs. Jagielo chose to pursue a college career at the University of Notre Dame, where he was named 2013 Big East Player of the Year.

Graphic by Anika Canamedi

He returned to the MLB draft in 2013, where he was selected by the New York Yankees in the 1st round.
After stints with several different minor league teams, Jagielo was released from the Miami Marlins franchise in 2019.

DGN’s students and alum alike have accomplished many things this past decade, and success will likely continue as individuals and teams of the highest athletic quality continue to attend and develop at this school.