German club wins Oktoberfest brat-eating contest

GERMAN+GUYS%3A+the+annual+crosstown+bratwurst-eating+contest%E2%80%99s+participants+in+order+from+left+to+right%3A+Ian+Bromfield+%2812%29%2C+Declan+Moore+%289%29%2C+Sebastian+Pappas+%289%29%2C+Zach+Gaytan+%2811%29%2C+Josiah+Poynter+%2810%29%2C+Etahn+Strauch+%2810%29.+

Andy Thompson

GERMAN GUYS: the annual crosstown bratwurst-eating contest’s participants in order from left to right: Ian Bromfield (12), Declan Moore (9), Sebastian Pappas (9), Zach Gaytan (11), Josiah Poynter (10), Etahn Strauch (10).

Andrew Thompson, News Editor

For the first time in five years, the DGN German Club won the annual crosstown bratwurst-eating contest at Oktoberfest against DGS in downtown Downers Grove Sept. 14. The victory was headlined by freshman Sebastian Pappas, who ate four brats, according to club sponsor Gunde Burritt. 

“He just kinda gobbled it up like crazy,” Burritt said. “And every year, I try to make it as inclusive as possible; this year we had at least one person from every [graduating] class.”

Burritt acknowledged that DGS had a tougher time finding participants this year, but also stressed that the contest is all for fun. She did, however, say that the winners receive $100.

“This goes into German Club and field trips we do, including one for [a different] Oktoberfest,” Burritt said. “And I  went out to get donuts for the six who participated as well.”

Burritt also hopes the club can attract more German students to the contest next year, as they had only six participants for this year.