David Edwards becomes first DGN alum drafted to NFL

GOING+PRO%3A+Former+DGN+football+player+David+Edwards+is+drafted+to+the+Los+Angeles+Rams+in+the+2019+NFL+Draft%2C+after+playing+three+seasons+for+the+Wisconsin+Badgers.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

GOING PRO: Former DGN football player David Edwards is drafted to the Los Angeles Rams in the 2019 NFL Draft, after playing three seasons for the Wisconsin Badgers.

Photo courtesy of Omega archives and David Edwards

Mary Wojcik, News Editor

Former DGN football player David Edwards is added to the Los Angeles Rams roster as the 169th pick during this year’s NFL draft, which took place April 25 through April 27.

“We had heard so many different things about where I would get picked in the draft and I felt really prepared for wherever I got picked,” Edwards said in an Omega interview.

Edwards is the second offensive lineman added to the Rams’ roster after this year’s draft.

“I’m really excited to be a part of the Rams because it’s a great fit. I was able to train before the draft out in the LA area and there is a former Wisconsin lineman currently playing there,” Edwards said.

Rams offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who cross-trains many of his players, plans on having Edwards play four spots— both tackles and both guards.

In the 2018-2019 season, the Rams finished with a regular season record of 13-3 and ended their season with a loss to the New England Patriots in Super Bowl 53 with a score of 13-3.

Edwards is ready to put in the hard work that playing for the NFL and an elite team such as the Rams requires, including intense training and commitment.

“The first season I’m hoping I can compete for a role on the offensive line and bring value in whatever I do,” Edwards said.

Edwards moves out to LA May 13 to begin his training with the Rams, and doesn’t yet know when he will be returning to Downers Grove.

Despite finally reaching one of his lifelong goals, Edwards knows that the work does not stop here, and that the NFL will push him even harder.

“It feels amazing that I’ve reached a goal of mine but now I’m able to set new ones in the NFL,” Edwards said. “I still gotta work.”  

Mary Wojcik, News Editor

Mary is a News editor for the Omega this year. She has always loved writing and been interested in journalism. She is on the Orchesis Dance Team here at...