Athlete of the Month: Nathan Kerr

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athlete of the Month: Nathan Kerr

Audrey Dwyer, In-Depth Editor

Growing up playing football, sophomore Nathan Kerr never thought much of the cheerleaders that cheered him on from the sidelines.  However, when he learned that the cheerleading team was looking for boys to join the team, he decided to give it a shot. Kerr was drawn to the importance of teamwork in the sport.

“You really rely on [your team members] to do their part, and they rely on you to do your part.  And when that happens, it works really well,” Kerr said.

Kerr was also attracted to the stunts and jumps that cheerleaders do as well.  Prior to joining the team, Kerr had no formal training. His experience was built through hanging out with his friends and practicing flips and other tricks at gymnastics gyms. However, his lack of experience has not kept him from becoming a successful cheerleader and a valuable teammate in the eyes of his coach, Allyson Passarelli.

“Nathan has done a great job of jumping into cheerleading.  He is a hard worker, quick learner, and has a great attitude,” Passarelli said.  “He takes constructive criticism well and is eager to improve. He has learned advanced stunting skills and how to do a back tuck in a very short time.  We are all excited he decided to join cheer.”

Audrey Dwyer, In-Depth Editor

Junior Audrey Dwyer is a new addition to The Omega staff.  This year, she is taking on the role of In-Depth editor. When Audrey isn’t writing for the...