Student Directors Collaborate on Winter One Acts

Vanessa Kamman, Feature Editor

[slideshow_deploy id=’7895′]

Beginning in October, student directors Emma Nykiel, Jacob Trnka, Ben Kulat, Ellie Cawthorne, and Kate Sosnovsky prepared for the Winter One Acts.

Kulat directed “May the Best Fan Win” by Jonathan Rand. This one act invites the audience to the thrilling world of watching men watching sports. The play puts a twist on normal sportscasting, with enthusiastic hosts breaking down their every action.

Kulat chose the play after finding it on speech team.

“I found it my freshman year on speech team. But when it came time to chose our show, I wasn’t sure if I could find the right actors to play my two couch characters,” Kulat said.

Nykiel directed “Jimmy the Antichrist,” written by Keith J. Powell, a story about a family who is preparing for their son’s visit home from college, when they find out that he is the Antichrist.

“I chose my show, “Jimmy the Antichrist,” because I thought it was absolutely ridiculous and totally hilarious. I had performed it on speech team last year and thought it would be such a fun show to direct,” Nykiel said.

Nykiel was concerned about the difficulty of directing other students in a production, but soon realized she chose the right actors to direct.

“My cast was so patient with me and so cooperative and hard working,” Nykiel said.

“Registration Day” was written and directed by Kate Sosnovsky. She knew she wanted write a play for the one acts, beginning the play in July and working on it up until the last minute in November by adding lines to make it flow better. She was inspired by her own life as a senior who wants to major in art.

The play similarly reflects a young girl embarrassed to tell her peers and teacher that she wants to be an artist, a career goal that society does not view as practical.

The play “Sure Thing” was written by David Ives and directed by Jacob Trnka. This comedic play features the chance meeting of two characters in a cafe, Bill and Betty, whose conversation is continually reset by the ringing of the bell, starting over when the discussion starts to go negatively.

The last play of the night was the comedy play called “Bank Withdrawal Symptoms,” that was written by Jim Gustafson and directed by Ellie Cawthorne.