• December 3Boys Wrestling won against Proviso West 56-15

• December 3Varsity Boys Basketball won home opener against Proviso West 85-54

Projections claim DGN alumni to be drafted within first round of 2019 NFL draft

Back to Article
Back to Article

Matt Troher, Editor-in-Chief

2014 DGN graduate David Edwards is one of the best players in college football right now.

The current Wisconsin Badger was placed on the Associated Press’s preseason All-American second team on Aug. 21, and was ranked by USA Today as the second best offensive tackle in college football as of July. 26.

“Edwards is the star of the nation’s most star-studded offensive line,” writes USA Today about the former Trojan. Although Edwards is only a Junior, he is looking to enter the NFL draft as early as next season.

Adding to his list of accomplishments, Edwards was placed on the American Football Coaches Association’s All-American Team for the 2017 college football season.

Despite playing offensive tackle at Wisconsin, Edwards spent his years on the DGN football team playing quarterback. An all-around athlete, Edwards was not only a member of the Trojan football team, as he was a member of the DGN Varsity Boys Basketball team. Playing as a multi-sport athlete allowed Edwards to gain the skills he needed to succeed at the next level in his athletic career.

“In the DGN football program as well as the basketball program, I learned how to compete and take tough coaching,” Edwards said about his years in the DGN athletics program. “When I got to Wisconsin, I was prepared for everything thrown at me because I had learned the importance of discipline, hard work, and being a great teammate.”

Now in his junior year at Wisconsin, Edwards is showing signs of entering into the NFL draft early. Despite taking his football career to the next level, Edwards points towards his former basketball coach, Jim Thomas, as having the most influence on him.

“[Thomas] allowed me to grow as an athlete, student, and leader an expected the most from me every day,” Edwards said about the coach. “The culture he created for the basketball program is nearly identical to the Wisconsin football program, and I hope every basketball player appreciates the person and coach that he is.”

Thomas, who continues to coach basketball at DGN, spoke to the attitude of his former player.David’s attitude was infectious. He always had a great outlook on everything no matter the situation,” Thomas said. “I’ll always appreciate how he carried himself both on and off the field. Clearly he is a great athlete, and he is one of the best people I have had the privilege to coach.”

Matt Troher, Editor-In-Chief

Senior Matt Troher is excited to take on his second year on the Omega staff, as well as his first year as Editor-in-Chief. Unsurprisingly, Matt likes to...