Head to Head: Thefts in the locker room

Part I (Stop the Thievery)

Sarah Rogoz, Opinion Editor

Attaining a lock for your gym locker is a pretty easy task. If it’s lost, you buy another one. If you forgot the code and your teacher didn’t keep a record of it, you buy another one. The truth is, keeping your stuff locked up only takes 30 seconds of your time to ensure it doesn’t get stolen. But what about those times that it doesn’t just take 30 seconds?
Every year there are those kids who can never get their locker combo down to a science. They try as fast as they can, but they always break a minute due to having to restart every 10 seconds. Sometimes students are only given three minutes to change after gym, so they can’t spare that extra 30 seconds.

The problem with PE locker room theft isn’t with people not locking up their stuff. If certain people have the audacity to go into an innocent student’s locker and take their precious belongings, there is something wrong with the thieves.
If there is such a push for lock usage in the locker room there should also be a bigger push for locker room monitoring. Asking for kids to lock up their stuff but not searching for guilty culprits once someone’s stuff gets stolen is contradictory.

You wouldn’t blame someone for getting their car broken into, instead you would blame the thief. The difference between these two scenarios is minimal. Rather than teaching students to lock up their stuff, we should be teaching them to not steal in the first place. If you caught this problem at the source everyone’s stuff would be safe, whether it was locked or not.