Athlete of the Month: Margaret Mahlke

Zain Bando, Sports Editor

Varsity volleyball player and junior Margaret Mahlke has made a key impact on the girls’ volleyball team as an outside hitter.  She is a Saint Louis University commit and plans to study physical therapy as well as play volleyball.

On Aug. 29 and 30, the girls won first two matches of the season over Naperville Central (26-24, 25-22) and Lincoln-Way East (25-22, 20-25, 25-20). In the game against the Redhawks, Mahlke finished with seven kills.

According to IHSA, the Trojans are ranked ninth in the state and are seeking their first WSSC title since 2007.

“It’s a pretty great ranking to have, but I don’t think it’s influenced us too much because no matter what your rank is, everyone still has to put in the work and effort,” Mahlke said.

Her teammates are inspired by her dedication towards the program.

“Margaret brings lots of positivity to the team and is willing to do anything to make her teammates better,” senior Clare Delaplane said.

Mahlke is also heavily involved in Positively North Stars and ELITE.

Zain Bando, Sports Editor

Senior Zain Bando is in his second year working with The Omega, but first as an official Staff Writer. In between watching UFC pay-per-views and NFL football,...