Keep it in the family: Cassens take the field

Matthew Carbon, Sports Editor

Sophomore Drew Cassens came into the summer football camp not expecting much but ended up coming out as a starter on defense and the backup QB.

“[Drew] could probably be playing three sports at this school. He has size, his strength is above average for a sophomore, and his speed is good,” head coach John Wander said.
The transition is something that’s taking a bit of getting used to for Drew.

“At first it was a really different transition going from freshman straight to varsity, it was really fast, but I really feel like I’ve adjusted enough to where I’m comfortable,” Drew Cassens said.

The second-year QB plays alongside his brother, Trevor, and coached by his dad, offensive line coach Todd Cassens.

“One reason we have our summer camps most years is to pull up some sophomores, and if they’re able to get the job done then they stay up,” Todd Cassens said, “The summer was a big determining factor.”

Drew was the starting quarterback for the freshman team last year, and his showing has proven to the coaches that he’s ready. He led his team to a 7-1-1 record last year, as well as a co-conference championship.

Senior OL Trevor Cassens is excited to have his brother playing with him in his final season as a Trojan.

“In the next two years, Drew has a really good shot at being a key two-way player. He can be a huge winning factor at North for years to come,” Trevor Cassens said.

The brothers share the field, but the spotlight might be a different story.

“Trevor plays a position that doesn’t get a lot of public attention, on the offensive line; Drew plays a skill position that tends to get that attention,” Todd Cassens said. “But we talk about this all the time as a team, as a program, so I think it’s not anything either one is not ready for.”

They don’t see each other much during practice, so the car rides to and from school have become a staple in their routine.

“Sometimes it’s a quiet car. Sometimes we talk school, family, or sometimes we joke around, but I’ve really come to enjoy having those few minutes every day together,” Todd Cassens said.

When they do get to interact, it’s always fun and games for the two brothers.

“[Drew] getting reps at quarterback is funny when I’m under center, but I trust him to put the ball in the receiver’s hand, and I know he trusts me,” Trevor Cassens said.