• January 5Boys’ XC coach John Sipple wins Illinois Coach of the Year

• December 6Senior P Sampson Cogger commits to Albion University

• December 2Boys’ XC finishes 4th at Nike Nationals in Portland

Girls’ bowling team qualifies two individuals

Katherine Hutto

Katherine Hutto

Fletcher Peters, Online Editor-in-Chief

On Feb. 17-18, junior Katherine Hutto and senior Sophie Ottley will compete in the girls’ bowling IHSA State Final Tournament. Both qualified in the Individual Bowlers category.

So far this year, the team won the Lisle tournament and were the Eagle Division Champions at the Leyden tournament. The Trojan Pride team as a whole placed ninth at the meet.

“Our team is lucky to have two individuals representing them like Katherine and Sophie,” bowling coach Mark Weiger said. “They lead the team by providing a strong example of what hard work and dedication to their sport can accomplish.”

Hutto’s main goal was to make All-Conference for the second year in a row. All-Conference consists of the top 18 scoring girls in the conference. This year, she came in fourth for individuals to qualify for state, with a total pinfall of 1206.

When I found out I qualified, I was honestly surprised because my first goal was just to make it to sectionals, which was amazing,” Hutto said. “I never even thought state was a possibility, but I’m so honored that I made it and get to compete with some amazing bowlers. It’s even better that one of my other teammates made it as well.”

Hutto and Ottley will bowl four games over Friday and Saturday at the Cherry Bowl bowling alley, in Rockford.

“I think the State Championship will be very nerve-racking because the best of the best are going to be there, but it’s going to be fun at the same time because it’s those same people who are also very passionate about the sport,” Hutto said. “I’m going to learn a lot being there.”