The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

• April 4Girls' track and field wins indoor conference for second year in a row

• March 16Junior Abby Swanson commits to play soccer at Loyola University

Big wins at Big Purple

HOLD IT STEADY: Brooke Stocki (11) balances on her head during her beam routine at the Big Purple meet.

Kileen Dietrich, Sports Editor

On Dec. 3, the top six competitors on the girls’ varsity gymnastics team took second overall at the 12 team Big Purple Invitational held at DGN.
The team also had some individual wins, with Madison Johnson placing first on beam, and Brooke Stocki tying for first on bars. In addition to her first place on beam, Johnson placed second on floor and Rebecca Donnelly placed sixth.
Also competing for the Trojans were senior Nicolet Christensen and freshmen Lauren Lucina and Claire Webster.
“It’s the best athletes [who are chosen],” Donnelly said, “[Coach] Linda wants us to win, so she picks what she thinks is the best for each event.”
When competing on beam, Donnelly, who also competed in vault and floor, had an off-balance tumbling pass that almost led to a fall.
“When I’m on the beam, I’m thinking, ‘clean safe routine, guaranteed to stick,” Donnelly said, “just in general I need to be confident, and if you have a bad event, oh well, you have to be ready for the next one.”
Christensen and Stocki were the only two all-around competitors at the invitational, though usually more are able to at duel meets. Christensen also had a wobbly full turn on beam, that did lead her to fall off.
“It’s so mental,” Christensen said, “you’re frustrated because you can make all the hard things and then the easiest thing in your routine you mess up, but you can’t do it over.”
The girls’ next meet is tonight against conference rivals, Lyons Township.