Tucker named to top 30 uncommitted athletes

Kileen Dietrich

MAKING THE PLAY: teammates watch in anticipation as Kendall Tucker (12) bumps the ball.

Kileen Dietrich, Sports Editor

Senior Kendall Tucker was selected to play in the Senior Showcase hosted by the Illinois Media School and Cyclones volleyball at College of Dupage for being one of the top 30 uncommitted volleyball players in the state.

The event consisted of a best of five game match between the pink and white teams, devised of the top 30 uncommitted athletes in the state.

“I did not know I was nominated to be one of the top 30 players in the state until I got an email saying I was selected as one,” Tucker said, “I did know that I was somewhere in the top 20 highest dig count in the state though.”

Proceeds from the event will be used to benefit the American Cancer Society, mainly for making strides against breast cancer.

“It was a great experience to combine all our talent together for a fun game to raise money for cancer research,” Tucker said, “It was really cool to play with other girls all over the state of Illinois that I have never met or played against.”

Tucker may have been the only senior nominated from DGN, but conference rivals Hinsdale Central and OPRF were also represented in the showcase.

“I felt pretty accomplished in myself to receive such a high rank of volleyball players in the state, especially since the class of 2017 is a very high competitive group of girls,” Tucker said.

Even though Tucker is currently uncommitted, she plans to stay that way.

“Although I did receive a couple offers to play D1 volleyball, I turned them down to focus on my studies and due to the intense credits I will have going into Nutritional Science and Marketing,” Tucker said.

Tucker has been playing volleyball for 12 years starting her career as young as seven for teams such as IPV, Lions Jrs. and 1st Alliance. Tucker has played all positions, but during high school she has mainly been a libero: someone who can play at all positions. Making the transition to a life without volleyball could prove difficult for Tucker.

“Without volleyball, I don’t think I would be as outgoing and fun as I am today,” Tucker said, “It’s taught me how to be a great leader and a great teammate that I haven’t gotten from any other sport I’ve played.”