One-acts entertain with twists

Dominic Galli, A&E Editor

The DGN Theater season started up with the fall one act plays, “One-Acts with a Twist”. The plays took place from October 27 to the 29 and showcased three plays.

The first play, “5 Characters in Search of an Exit”, was an episode of “The Twilight Zone” adapted for the stage. The play tells the story of a major who finds himself mysteriously trapped in a strange place with a clown, a ballerina, a hobo, and a bagpiper. The play ends with us learning that the characters were toys trapped in a donation bucket the whole time.

The play, overall, was a great adaptation of the episode. The story worked well as a play considering it had the characters in one room the whole time. Freshman Travon Moore who played the major showed the character’s desperateness to free himself well.

The play was restricted by the design of the set. The gray metallic background gave the proper aesthetic of the bucket the characters were supposed to be trapped in, but the flat background did not give the same feeling of an inescapable void that the circular structure of the inside of the bucket does in the episode.

The second play, “Play Development or If Hamlet was a Reading” shows William Shakespeare getting feedback from a rogues gallery about the script for Hamlet.

The played was executed very well with a large cast, for a one act play, of 11 people. Almost every character in the rouges gallery criticizing Shakespeare had a line or two to help add a sense of importance to the large cast.

The final play was “Mere Mortals”, a story about three construction workers who believe that they are the Lindbergh baby, the son of Czar Nicholas II, and the reincarnation of Marie Antoinette, respectively.

The highlight of the play was the costume and set design. The construction workers were decked out in full gear including Jets, Giants, and Mets stickers on their helmets and some thick New York accents. The play took place on top of a wooden structure meant to represent schaffling 4 feet off the floor. Proper credit needs to be given to the actors involved in the play who managed to not fall off the narrow beams they had to traverse while moving about the structure.