Organization unites faith and athletics

Kileen Dietrich, Sports Editor

The Fellowship of Christian Athletes, (FCA) is a faith-based, student led organization that was introduced to DGN during the middle of last school year. FCA meets before and after school to unite students passion for both faith and athletics.

FCA supervisors Kimberly Jaros, Justin Ashton and Michael Pacer, along with 20 DGN students, started the club last year.

“Some students had approached me wanting to start it who had heard about it from siblings who have it at their college campus, or other high schools that have it, so we started it up,” Jaros said.

Each meeting is referred to as a “huddle” which parallels the athletic term of getting together as a team.

“The first week we talked about friendship, we’re going to talk about stress, relationships and take it from a Christian faith standpoint,” Jaros said.

Currently, there are about 30 members in FCA, whereas last year there were only 20. FCA student leader Sophomore Mia Marconi frequently attends FCA huddle meetings.

“We are still a growing club, and we have between 20 to 25 people at every huddle,” Marconi said. “We talk about things our members are interested in and need help with,” Marconi said. “Then, we relate it back to the Bible, our sports teams, or school.”

Due to the fact that FCA is faithbased, it is not considered an official club, and the group is only able to meet before and after school hours.

“We’re looking into that and hoping to break that barrier and allow all faiths to have a club that’s officially recognized,” Jaros said.

The organization tries to meet once a week. Contact the FCA supervisors to find out details about the next meeting.