Athlete of the month: Alex Malone

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athlete of the month: Alex Malone

Sammi Ziganto, Sports Editor

Returning varsity golfer senior Alex Malone is the only boys’ golfer to score a hole-in-one this season.

Before transferring to DGN, Malone started playing golf his freshman year at Benet Academy. Since his sophomore year, Malone has been a part of the DGN varsity golf team.

During an average week the team has practice everyday after school unless they have a match. Matches are usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Outside of school practices, Malone practices on his own over the weekends for two to three hours each day. Malone is looking to take his golf skills to the next level.

“I hope to play in college, but unfortunately I am late to the recruiting process so I will not be able to play my freshman year in college, but I will try to play my sophomore year,” Malone said.

In his last three nine-hole matches, Malone has scored a 36, 37, and 38. The team has an overall record of 2-9.

“My favorite part of golf is being able to spend time with my friends and improve my game,” Malone said.

On Oct. 4, the boys’ varsity team participated in the IHSA Regionals. Malone was one of two boys on the team to qualify for sectionals.

Sammi Ziganto, Sports Editor

For guacamole enthusiast, Sammi Ziganto, this is her senior year and her first year on the Omega staff as the sports editor. As a creative, smart and funny...