Hillcrest opens all-access playground

OWENS+PLAYGROUND+FOR+ALL+ABILITIES%3A+Hillcrests+new+all+access+playground+is+the+first+of+its+kind+in+Downers+Grove+and+its+surrounding+communities.+

OWEN’S PLAYGROUND FOR ALL ABILITIES: Hillcrest’s new all access playground is the first of its kind in Downers Grove and its surrounding communities.

Katy Wright, News Editor

On the first day of first grade at Hillcrest, Margaret Chaidez watched her son Owen ride off in his wheelchair to play with friends on the playground. After the children went inside, Chaidez found Owen stuck in the wood chips behind one of the structures. That day Chaidez promised him she would find a way to fix it. Within two years, Hillcrest opened Owen’s Playground for Children of All Abilities.

On Aug. 17, Hillcrest Elementary School opened its brand new all access playground, the first of its kind in Downers Grove. The playground features connected structures with double wide ramps for students with wheelchairs and walkers, recycled rubber to replace the wood chips and special sensory stations.

Several years ago, Hillcrest created the first Developmental Learning Program classroom for kids with special needs. It serves as a model for schools wanting to create more inclusive learning environments. Fourteen percent of students enrolled in District 58 schools live with a disability. This playground serves not only students attending Hillcrest, but numerous families living in its surrounding communities.

“People are coming from all over, I mean we have had visitors galore. I think everyone was sort of keeping an eye on it and then once we had the grand opening, we’ve had to have several conversations with people letting them know that now that school’s in session, the playground is closed to the public during school hours,” Hillcrest Elementary School Principal Michelle Rzepka said.

The fundraising goal was set at $600,000, and the entire cost of the playground equipment and installation was funded privately. The majority of the funds came from the Barbara Gulick and the Ronald L. McDaniel Foundation.

“We also received corporate donations from Fresh Thyme Market and many private donors. We received a grant from BCI Burke, the playground equipment manufacturer. My partner, Mike Maloney (landscape architect) also donated his time for the past two years,” Margaret Chaidez said.

Owen Chaidez is now a fourth grader at Hillcrest and he had a key role in getting this project started.

“The hardest part of building this playground was hearing all the people tell us we couldn’t do it. Every community needs a park so kids of all abilities can play with their friends,” Owen Chaidez said.

Rzepka has high hopes for this playground and believes it will bring the community closer together.

“I think ultimately what our children will come to realize is that despite our differences and some of those physical limitations we can all play together and we are all the same in many many ways,” Rzepka said.