Featured Athlete: Tariun Triplett

Natalie White, Sports Editor

Junior Tariun Triplett, known as ‘Scooby’ to most, is running record breaking times this season. On Feb. 12 he broke the school indoor 55 meter record, running a 6.34 at the Proviso West Invite.

Triplett has a personal record of 22.67 seconds in the outdoor 200 meter, 11.06 in the outdoor 100 meter and 23.44 seconds in the indoor 200 meter. He also participates in the 4×100 relay and the 4×200 relay. He hopes to run in the Olympics one day.

“Scooby makes the whole team laugh with his sense of humor. His drive and determination is what helpes him win races,” teammate sophomore Micheal Taylor said.

Tariun will be competing in three events at the IHSA state final at EIU. The 4×100 relay that consisted of  Anthony Giordano (Sr), Andrew Marszewski (Jr), Zharion Jackson (Jr) and  Triplett broke the school record and finished first at sectionals with a time of 42.38 seconds. Triplett also qualified with a time of 10.88 seconds in the 100 meter dash and in the 200 meter dash with a time of 22.28 seconds.

“Track is something you work hard at and it’s a sport that drives you further. It’s a sport where it’s not just you makes it down state, but it’s the team who believed in you to get there,” Triplett said.