Student activities pass eliminated for 2016-17 school year

Katie Callaghan, Editor-in-Chief

District 99 Board of Education has passed a new fee schedule which eliminates the cost of purchasing student activities and publication passes for the 2016-17 school year. This will allow students to enter certain athletic events, plays and musicals free of cost.

“We are hopeful that eliminating admission fees for these events will increase student participation and increase the number of positive high school experiences for more students,” Controller Mark Staehlin said.

With the loss of fees, the registration process at the beginning of the year will become quicker, with less preparation needed beforehand.

“The net result of all these changes should result in a very small loss of revenue for the District, but it should also save us some expenses relating to the registration process,” Staehlin said.

Due to the income loss of a $40 activity pass, a $20 increase in the registration and textbook fee will occur, as well as a $4 increase in admission price for adults to musicals and plays.

“I am happy that we can make this change this year and that an initial meeting to discuss increasing student admission prices actually resulted in a final decision that should make it more inviting for students to attend these events,” Staehlin said.