Bucket list fails to excite participants

Dominic Galli, A&E Editor

The Positively Winter Break Bucket List is in its fourth year and seems to go unnoticed every year. The bucket list gets little hype with a few announcements on the morning announcements and some posters in the hallway.

Most students don’t want to participate in the bucket list or do not know it even exists. The question is do the problems from the bucket list stem from lack of exposure or a poorly made list.
The first item on the bucket list is to see Star Wars The Force Awakens. This seems like an interesting item that students would want to do, especially with the Tivoli theater getting the film at its initial release date instead of the Tivoli’s unusual later arrival.

The list goes on to talk about visiting a pet store, going to a coffee shop, and doing an indoor activity. These activities lack some creativity, but work on this list.

Next is to research colleges for an afternoon on the school’s website. Researching colleges is something that I personally would not spend my free time doing especially on two week break from school.

Latter on the list recommends you clean your room. This activity seems very misplaced on a list about fun things to do over winter break. Cleaning your room is something that I don’t want to do and assume others don’t as well.

The list recommends you to take a lap around the mall with senior citizens. This item seems so odd that it seems it was almost accidently put on the list. The next activity, building a blanket or pillow, also seems strange. I personally don’t possess the chops to build a blanket or pillow and if I did I don’t know if I would want to.

As the list goes on it gets less and less creative. Such items as create original art and complete a puzzle are on the list. Creating a puzzle is uninteresting, not very fun, and hard. Creating original art is very vague and uninspired. The list ends on a very fitting uncreative note of doing something you wanted to do over break.

I asked junior Maggie Neverly what her favorite part of the bucket list was and she said, “My family and my cousins have always been really close so it was a blast to spend time with them over break and make something together that we may not have done.”

Something I overlooked on the list was the purpose of the list deep down. The list isn’t about the quality of the activities you do, but the people you do them with. The list is about spending time with family and friends, not necessarily doing creative activities.

Freshman Audrey Gusel said that, “My cousins and my sister and I all dressed up in our Star Wars “onesies” and with my family we watched all 7 Star Wars movies together.”

Again this shows that the parts of the bucket list that are enjoyed the most are not the activities, but the memories you make with your friends and family.