The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

National Honors Society controls service hours

Alayna Todnem
    STRIVE pamphlet explains peer tutoring, where DGN students benefit from this free help.

National Honors Society is an established association in high schools all across the country. This club allows upperclassmen to volunteer throughout their community. Many students use NHS to appeal to colleges.

“To be a member of NHS, students must have (and maintain) a GPA of 3.5 and complete 15 community service hours from our running list of opportunities,” club sponsors Kathleen Troyer and Josh Bodenheimer said. 

Opportunities include national organizations, such as  Feed My Starving Children, as well as local opportunities, such as elementary school events, and high school-specific opportunities, including tutoring. The volunteering opportunities provided for DGN students are dynamic – opportunities are constantly added and taken away from the list.

The goal of this ever-changing list is a reference point for students, not a jumping-off point. Only opportunities on this list are counted as NHS hours, so individualized situations, such as church events, are not allowed.

“We have encouraged members to bring service opportunities to our attention for us to post – and sometimes that would work and we did post; other times it did not align with our parameters so we did not post,” Troyer and Bodenheimer said.

This school year, one specific NHS opportunity has faced many difficulties in being approved: tutoring. Students can only receive NHS tutoring hours by helping other high schoolers who are a part of STRIVE, a school club that connects students with educational help. STRIVE runs before, during, and after school in the DGN library and testing center. Students who show up can find both teachers and student tutors. However, the number of student tutors often long outweighs the number of students who need tutoring.

“A lot of time you’ll go and sit there for an hour and you won’t get any credit for it because there are way more tutors there than people who need tutoring,” Junior Carly Ermitage said.

With the limited amount of other opportunities open, Ermitage, along with many other NHS students, rely on tutoring through STRIVE to complete a majority of her NHS hours. However, when no students showed up for tutoring help, Ermitage could not receive tutoring hours even when giving up her time.

“It’s nice to, one day a week, stay after school and hopefully get tutoring hours. But it would be nice if you could stay after and for sure get tutoring hours. It’s always a gamble,” Ermitage said. 

As a school, having low numbers of students who need tutoring is a good sign of learning comprehension, meaning NHS service hours are difficult to earn. Current and future members must work hard to find service events, making this club induction more coveted.

“We are hopeful that next year and beyond more community opportunities will be brought forth for our members to participate,” Troyer and Bodenheimer said.