The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Humans of DGN: Anne Driscoll

Anne Driscoll and Orchesis member Kelsie Arndt (12)

Kind words, wide grins, and bouquets of flowers is how Orchesis Dance Company thanks their sponsors at the end of their annual performances. Sponsor Anne Driscoll has been a part of Orchesis for 15 years, creating a unique, special, and inspiring environment for her dancers. In addition to Orchesis, Driscoll is a special services teacher here at DGN. 

“Mrs. Driscoll is very motivational and always tries to find the positives. She only ever wants us to succeed. She does everything in her power to make sure the show goes right. She has created a close-knit community,” Senior and four-year Orchesis member Grace Wright said. 

In 2021, Driscoll was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through 20 weeks of chemotherapy. During the first 12 weeks, Driscoll continued teaching, however, the last eight weeks were too difficult to come to work. Driscoll reached out to staff at DGN, in hopes someone would volunteer to guarantee Orchesis ran smoothly. Within minutes, nearly fifty people responded to the message and agreed to help run practices. 

“The whole company was really sad to see someone we love so much go through something so horrible,” Senior Sarah Lampsa said, “Her energy is a huge part of what makes Orchesis so special. She makes everyone feel welcomed, so when she wasn’t there, I think everyone felt a little more unmotivated for practice.”

SHOWING SUPPORT: The Orchesis Dance company participated in “No One Walks Alone” during breast cancer awareness month. (Orchesis Dance Company)

Driscoll was able to make the showcase by moving it up a couple of days, her surgery was the following week. The school supported Driscoll through thick and thin, Orchesis participated in “No One Walks Alone”, and the English department collected money to cover the cost of meals as well as hiring a cleaning service to come to her home. 

“Everyone was so excited when she was able to make it back for our yearly showcase, and hearing the news of her remission made all of us so proud of her strength and excited for her to be cancer-free,” Senior Grace Wright said. 

Driscoll discovered the cancer, because of a gene she carried called the BRCA gene, also known as the “cancer gene”. Driscoll attended a doctor’s appointment to test on the gene, and at her first appointment, they discovered she had breast cancer. In 2024, Driscoll celebrated her two-year anniversary of having double mastectomy surgery and becoming cancer-free. 

“I was diagnosed young, they don’t start cancer screening until an older age. It was honestly a lot of good luck. If they hadn’t found it, the cancer would have continued to progress,” Driscoll said. 

Driscoll has been an inspiration to staff, students, and everyone lucky enough to be a part of the Orchesis Dance Company.

“Mrs. Driscoll inspires me because even through her illness, she never gave up hope and she always brought positivity to the practices she could come to. She made an effort to still lighten every room she walked into and be the welcoming source she has always been in orchesis,” Lampsa said.