The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

‘Piece by Piece’ the DGN Athenas prepare for state

Deedee Johnson
SMILING FOR STATE: The DGN Athena’s secured a state bid Jan. 23 after placing sixth at sectionals.

“There’s only one team left, If it’s not us then we aren’t going,” senior Jaden Fanta whispered to her teammates as they sat huddled together, holding hands on the gym floor. Seconds later the intercom announced, “The next team headed to Bloomington is Downers Grove North,” cheers erupted as the Athenas embraced each other with hugs. 

The IHSA Competitive Dance State Finals will be held at Illinois State University, Jan. 26-27. In order to qualify for the second day, teams will need to place twelfth or higher on the 26th. The competition consists of 30 teams from all over Illinois, who placed between first and sixth at their sectionals competition. 

This is the second year in a row the Athenas have secured a state bid, however, the 2023-2024 season was hardly a breeze. The Athenas faced quite a few challenges and setbacks including multiple injuries. 

‘’We have had a lot of ups and downs this season, but I am proud of how close we have gotten as a team. We all worked together to get to this point and have improved as a team and individually. I am so lucky to be a part of such a great atmosphere and a team with hard-working attitudes,” Fanta said. 

The biggest obstacle the team faced was at their conference competition. Just moments before stepping out on the floor, sophomore Emma Aleksiunas slipped in her switch tilt during warm-ups and dislocated her toe. Without any time to reposition and adjust the dance, the Athena’s took the stage with a person missing. While the situation was less than ideal, the Athena’s placed the highest they had all season with an impressive fourth place. 

“The Athenas were able to talk through the forms and respace the dance on just the walk in. It was very impressive how well they were able to perform given the circumstances,” Aleksiunas said. 

The Athenas will be dancing to “Piece by Piece” by Kelly Clarkson at state. They have performed this song for all competitions this season. The Athenas have a total of 11 dancers on the floor, which is drastically smaller than most high schools in the 3A division. Each week, the team and their coaches change the dance based on the scores they received. 

“This year we knew what we needed to do in order to get to state so we focused on making changes to the dance earlier and continued after every competition,” Aleksiunas. 

The Athena’s goal is to reach the second day in Bloomington and soak in every minute on the state dance floor. 

“I’m so excited I get to dance one last time with my best friends on the state stage,” Fanta said.