The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

‘Hallelujah’ becomes opening song for Mosaic

Maya Rayna
ENDING THE SHOW: The choir, orchestra, and orchestra winds perform ‘This is My Wish’ under direction of the band director Mr. Jessen T. Smith

The Mosaic musical performance has been an annual event at DGN for 27 years. For the past 26 years ‘Hallelujah’ has been the closing song for the Mosaic, but this year the concert’s closing song will be ‘This Is Our Wish’ by Tim Lauer and Angela Lauer, arranged by Thomas Matta.

Some students expressed concerns due to the closing song change from ‘Hallelujah’ to ‘This is Our Wish’
because of how grand the ‘Hallelujah’ chorus students felt as though the rest of the concert would be outshined. Although, ‘Hallelujah’ will no longer stand as the closing song for the Mosaic. It will not be off the program entirely, instead, it will be featured as the opening song for the Mosaic.

“There are an additional 21 pieces of music, of all styles and formats, between that and our closing selection, so we don’t feel people will be comparing the two. When programming a concert, music teachers consider both a strong opening and a strong closing, which I think we’ve accomplished,” Fine Arts department chairperson Gina Wych said.

The reasoning for the song switch was primarily based on the strong religious implications of the ‘Hallelujah Chorus.’ The music teachers felt it was important that nobody in the audience or performers in the show felt excluded during an event meant to bring the community together.

“All five DGN music teachers felt a strong desire to end our Mosaic concert with a piece that is inclusive of all performers and audience members. ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ is an important musical selection with high aesthetic value, but also strong religious connotations,” Wych said. “It was the consensus of the entire music team that we could, and should, find a closing piece that does not align so closely with one belief system. We hope that all audience members and performers will walk out of the concert feeling included in the warm holiday wishes of our new closing selection.”

Some students were hesitant to accept the change of closing songs and there was some confusion over why the change was needed now, after many years of ‘Hallelujah’ being the closer.

“From talking to a lot of students and sending out a survey to all the students I could reach, I gathered a lot of information and generally what I found is that most students felt like they didn’t understand why the switch had been made and a lot of them I think because I was apprehensive a lot of us were nervous about how it would go,” junior Caleb McCloud said.

However, the decision to change the closer ‘Hallelujah’ to ‘This is Our Wish’ was made with the students as well as the Downers Grove community in mind.

“We hope everyone loves the new closing piece and leaves the concert feeling the peace, goodwill, and spirit of the season,” Wych said.