The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Randall Park’s annual ‘Turkey Bowl’ unites community

READY TO PLAY: Downers Grove children gather at Randall Park for the annual Thanksgiving football tournament.

Every Thanksgiving morning, Randall Park is filled with delicious food, a close-knit community, and a football tournament. Since 2003, Thanksgiving has grown to be many Downers Grove families’ favorite holiday, due to the annual “Turkey Bowl.”

“It’s my favorite day, I look forward to it every year. It’s become a staple of my family’s Thanksgiving morning,” senior Annika Isacson said. 

The Isacson family originally began the tradition 20 years ago with just a few neighbors and friends, however, it quickly turned into hundreds of people joining in on the special day each year. Approximately 250 people attended this year’s gathering. 

“There is something for everyone, so many people you can meet and talk to. It creates a great sense of community,” senior Annie Stephens said.  

This year became the Isacson family’s favorite Thanksgiving yet; their oldest son Noah Isacson proposed to his longtime girlfriend, in the middle of Randall Park after the football tournament ended. The moment was shared with his closest friends and family watching and cheering him on. 

“It makes perfect sense that this year is as big as it’s ever been because we have a new family to welcome to the tradition,”  founder of the “Turkey Bowl,” Scott Isaacson said when congratulating his son on the engagement. 

Each year, the Randall Park community hosts a food drive on Thanksgiving day. In 2022, an impressive 1000 lbs of food was donated to the Downers Grove FISH Pantry. 

PACKED AND READY TO GO: The “Turkey Bowl” community collects donations for the FISH food pantry each year.

“The food drive started because my family wanted to give back to those that are less fortunate during the holidays,” Annika Isacson said. 

The “Turkey Bowl” tournament typically consists of three fields, separating games by age. Players can choose between flag football and tackle football. In the oldest age group, the winning team is presented with a “Turkey Bowl” platter where they get to engrave their names and the year they won. Each year the Isacsons honor Professional NFL player, and Super Bowl winner, David Edwards, who once participated in the “Turkey Bowl ”.  A poster is attached to their traditional sign, dedicated to Randall Park alumni who play in the NFL. 

“It’s cool how someone that once played in our neighborhood ‘Turkey Bowl’ has moved on to such a big accomplishment of winning a Superbowl,” Annika Isacson said. 

The “Turkey Bowl” has become much more than a football tournament, it’s turned into a welcoming celebration with friends, neighbors, and family. Those who experience Thanksgiving morning at Randall Park are lucky to be part of such a special community. 

“After this year’s ‘Turkey Bowl’,” Thanksgiving has moved up on my favorite holidays’ list,” senior Micheala Baldwin said.