The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Trojans shut out Normal, advance to State Championship

William Vala
JUMPING FOR JOY: Oliver and Owen Thulin celebrate with each other after Oliver scores the first touchdown against NCHS Nov. 18.

At the beginning of the football season, senior wide receiver Vince Davero said, “Our team’s goal is to win a State Championship. We all believe that it is possible and we have the talent to do so.” On Nov. 18, the team put themselves in a position to make that possible, shutting out Normal Community High School in the State Semifinals and advancing to the State Championship for the first time since 2004.

During the postseason, the Trojan defense has only let up 40 points through four games. This week they held NCHS to 81 yards of total offense and senior Jimmy Janicki returned an interception 29 yards for a touchdown.

“It starts with our coaching. Our coordinator, Coach Lichtenberg, has an answer for everything. Then our job as players is to execute it and be fast and physical like we have been all year,” Janicki said.

The Trojans were up 21-0 at half-time, yet the NCHS student section was still jumping around hoping to spark a comeback. Those hopes were ruined when senior running back Noah Battle returned the second-half kickoff 86 yards extending the Trojan lead to four touchdowns.

“We came into the game with a mission to get the job done and make history,” Battle said. “The energy our team and the fans brought made this game one to remember.”

Sophomore quarterback Owen Lansu also had an impressive game, throwing for three touchdowns. Lansu has led the young offense throughout the season, and now in his first year under center will get the opportunity to compete for a State Championship.

“It feels great being so successful in my first year because no one expected us to make the playoffs,” Lansu said. “It’s so surreal that Christmas decorations are going up and we’re still practicing.”

TAKING A BATH: Seniors Colton Ford and Luke Klempir pour water on head coach Joseph Horeni after beating NCHS Nov. 18. (William Vala)

The Trojans will travel to Illinois State’s Hancock Stadium to take on Mt. Carmel High School for the 7A State Championship game Nov. 25 at 4 p.m.