The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

No need to calm down: ‘Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour’ lives up to concert legacy and more

Audrey Gorey
Under the lights: “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” movie premiered at the Tivoli Movie Theater in Downers Grove Oct. 13.

To say I am a Taylor Swift fan is an understatement. I was lucky enough to score tickets to the “Eras Tour” this summer, which was an experience like no other. Desperate and knowing I would do anything to see my idol one more time, I worked as a security guard on the floor during the final night of the Chicago show. Yes, somehow 17 year-old me managed to attend the concert in a pair of khakis and a bright blue polo with “guest services” sprawled across the back.

Despite the first leg of the “Eras Tour” being over, its legacy lives on through “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” Swift’s concert brought to the big screen, released Oct. 13 in movie theaters across North America. The almost 3 hour-long movie earned a more-than-impressive 100 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes, and was filmed during Swift’s second to last show in the US, at LA’s SoFi Stadium.

On opening day at the Classic Cinemas Tivoli Theatre, I arrived to find a crowd of people gathered that rivaled any movie release I have ever seen before. As I took my seat after weaving my way through the masses of tween girls trading friendship bracelets, I felt like I had been transported back to Swift’s actual concert, a feeling which continued throughout the duration of the movie. 

The movie began with a countdown timer, just as the concert had. Ear-piercing shrieks filled the theater, and soon appeared Swift on the silver screen. In almost no time, the audience was up and dancing, most of whom were dressed for the occasion and clutching their Taylor Swift popcorn buckets, which were made special for the release.

ENCHANTED TO SEE YOU: Crowd gathers to sing along, replicating a scene similar to that of the real concert. “Enchanted” was the only song of the ‘Speak Now’ Era to be featured in the film. (Audrey Gorey)

The movie itself depicted the artist’s journey through her 17 year music career, and the eras that embodied them. Swift put on the performance of a lifetime, complete with intricate choreography and several costume changes. The array of custom bejeweled bodysuits and whimsical, flowy dresses served as the perfect accoutrement to her wide discography of music.

One minor area of disappointment was that the film left out a few songs from the concert’s setlist: “The Archer,” “no body, no crime” (featuring Haim), “Long Live,” “Wildest Dreams,” and “cardigan.” While I understand this choice was made to cut down on the timing, I can’t help but be saddened at the lack of some of my favorite Swift songs.

A notable part of the production was Swift’s performance of “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” during the ‘Red’ Era. One of her most popular hits, the lengthy track is a testament to Swift’s ability to command the attention of a crowd with gut wrenching lyricism and astounding acoustic abilities.

My experience watching “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” could be described as an overall sing-along party in which I was happy to indulge in. Some audience members even charged the stage to dance, cheer, and shine their flashlights in beat to the music. When at times the enthusiasm could be a bit overwhelming, the little girl practically screaming the lyrics to “Anti-Hero” in my ear was a reminder that not every fan was able to see Swift live. This movie was the perfect way to make Swift’s performance accessible to all.

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” proves that the megastar is worthy of the titles “Mastermind” and “Miss Americana,” and the audience it draws serves as a reminder that Swift’s fan base is unlike any other, in the best way possible.