The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Golf glory: team sets school record

SWING+FOR+SUCCESS%3A+Connor+Hurst+%2812%29+prepares+for+his+match+against+OPFR+at+Carriage+Green+Country+Club+Sept.+6.+The+Trojan+would+go+on+to+beat+OPFR%2C+setting+a+new+school+record.++
Colton Woodring
SWING FOR SUCCESS: Connor Hurst (12) prepares for his match against OPFR at Carriage Green Country Club Sept. 6. The Trojan would go on to beat OPFR, setting a new school record.

The boys’ varsity golf team celebrated a record-breaking win against OPRF Sept. 6. Scoring 143-160, the match brought home a significant conference win. Senior Connor Hurst shot an outstanding 33, his personal best to date. 

“33 is the lowest I have ever put up in competition before,” Hurst said. “I didn’t have a great start to my round, leading off the first hole with a 3 putt bogey. I remembered to just stick with my routine which is lining up my club with my target and taking a deep breath before each shot. After that I was able to fire off a couple of birdies which led to a solid round.”

PE teacher Anthony Calderone has been coaching the boys’ golf team for the past 15 years, enjoying the high skill level that the sport requires. Golf is unique in the way that nothing the opponents do can affect a player’s game, the golfer is solely accountable for his game on the course.

“I’ve always found it interesting to figure out the skills needed for golf athletically and learn them myself, so the competitive piece of the game has always driven me: how hard it is but how simple it seems to be,” Calderone said. “Anyone can hit a good shot once in a while, but to do it over and over again is a whole other animal.”

The boys’ team faces the toughest conference in the state, boasting teams like Hinsdale Central and Glenbard West, who placed in last year’s state tournament. Despite the intense competition, the team pushes to play their best. 

“With our conference as strong as it is every year, it’s tough to predetermine any of that, we probably have the toughest golf tournament in the state. I came in this year with the expectation of trying to be in the top three. But the bottom line in golf is you really want to try to play your best,” Calderone said.

The team took a disappointing loss Sept. 5, losing to Glenbard West by one stroke, however, they were able to bounce back the next day for the OPRF match. Despite the windy conditions, the team came out focused. 

“We all feel very honored and super pumped to have broken the school record,” Hurst said. “The team pushed each other during the winter and summer leading up to the season to get better and work on our short game. This is a special accomplishment, but we are going to stay focused and keep pushing towards our team and personal goals.”