The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Noises Off – Anything but Silent

ACTING IT OUT: Jake Rambke, Grace Troelstrup, Kate France, and Max Churma performing the final act of the show.

I sigh as I walk to my seat in the Clarence Johnson Auditorium. It’s hot. I’m here to support some friends – not get heat stroke. I take a deep breath and wipe the sweat pooling on my face to prepare myself for what’s to come. While I had not yet known the premise of the show, all I heard from the actors I knew involved was to prepare myself for the mayhem I was about to witness. I wish I knew how much of an understatement that was.

The second I even processed the show had started, I could barely hear the actors over the roars of laughter booming across the auditorium. My evening consisted of 2 hours of stomach cramps and teary eyes from constant cackling. I was quickly taken away from the 110 degree weather or back-to-school troubles in my head. The actors came on stage with such energy and conviction it was impossible not to get into the show. In all my time at North, I can’t remember ever seeing a Thursday night production so alive. 

Noises Off, written by Micheal Frayn, is a comedic satire on the world of acting. It’s written in 3 parts that all show a part of production. Act 1 introduces a ragtag cast in their final dress rehearsals, unable to even get through one take of their show without catastrophe. In Act 2, the set flips around to an actor’s backstage perspective. The impeccable double-sided set gave an amazingly hilarious insight to what might happen behind the scenes we’d never know. Finally in Act 3, the set flips once again where you get to watch the chaos of their final show from the audience perspective. 

Ironically enough, in a show about a production going wrong, there were a few mishaps that occurred that actually seemed intentional because of the quick wit and talent of the cast and crew. Whether it was the stage’s couch breaking or simply the atrocious heat in the building that warped the wooden set, those on and off stage pushed through without fail for a seamless first show. It all goes to show the sheer talent and commitment that those involved in our school’s varsity play have and can bring a new level of appreciation and amazement to the stage. 

Overall, I was extremely impressed with the show. If you weren’t able to catch the show, I’d most definitely recommend catching the next!