Coaches Reflect on Mason Walters

Quinn Kelly, Feature Editor

Senior Mason Walters will be remembered as a trusted friend, strong athlete, and goofy classmate to those who knew him.

He was a three-year member of the DGN volleyball team and a beloved student in the AVID program. Growing up, he participated in Woodridge community basketball, and played on Jefferson Junior High’s basketball team for two years.

While he achieved many athletic accomplishments, what stood out to many was his character and sportsmanship on the sidelines. Even after graduating from Jefferson, he remained deeply involved, volunteering at several summer volleyball camps. 

Jefferson basketball and volleyball coach Troy Johnson spoke highly of Mason, describing him as “effective [while] working with some of the most challenging campers.” 

Johnson also regarded Mason as an “outstanding volleyball player,” but acknowledged that Mason’s “true gifts of kindness, compassion, and determination” were what defined him most. While at DGN, he played volleyball at the freshman, sophomore, and varsity levels. Varsity head coach Mark Wasik spoke on Mason’s impact both on and off the court.

“From an athletic perspective, Mason was one of the more physical athletes that I have ever coached. He was a big, strong, young man who took pride in his fitness and it certainly helped him become a powerful hitter and blocker,” Wasik said. “As a person, Mason was light-hearted and known for his positive energy. He was also very social and his teammates enjoyed him tremendously.” 

Wasik credits much of the teams’ positive atmosphere to Mason, a quality that only a special teammate can bring to the group as a whole.

“He was able to see the humor in a situation and keep things light-hearted.  I will miss his energy and spirit and am hopeful his teammates will carry both on given the awesome example Mason was to them” Wasik said.

Mason’s memory will live on through all of his teammates, coaches, friends and family. The passion and commitment he brought to caring about his teammates exemplifies his willingness to go above and beyond for others and can serve as inspiration for everyone.