Dgn falls to Hinsdale Central 30-20

Gary E. Duncan Sr.

EVERY YARD COUNTS: DGN sophomore running back Noah Battle dives while carrying the ball.

Anthony Marsicano, Sports Editor

DGN kicked off their sixth game of the season in Hinsdale against Hinsdale Central. The Red Devils entered the game ranked by the Chicago Sun-Times as the 22nd best team in Illinois. Although they were ranked much higher than DGN, both teams shared the same record of 4-1. The game commenced at 7:30 as the Trojans kicked off to Central with both teams set on reaching five wins on the year.

The Red Devils took full advantage of starting with the ball, jumping out to an early 7-0 lead thanks to quarterback Billy Cernugel rushing for a touchdown just three minutes into the game. Their next drive did not go as well, Central bobbled a snap that was recovered by DGN linebacker Mason Bowden for a turnover. Trojan quarterback Sam Reichert found receiver Ethan Thulin for a 6-yard touchdown catch as DGN took advantage of their new field position to even the score at 7-7. The teams entered the second quarter tied at a touchdown apiece.

The second quarter followed a similar pattern to the first, Central struck first again, this time passing for a touchdown with nine minutes left in the half. Their 14-7 lead was slashed in a last-minute effort as Reichert and Thulin connected for their second total touchdown of the night with 25 seconds left in the half. With little time remaining, the Red Devils received the kickoff and immediately completed a 30-yard pass play. Rather than attempting a field goal from around 40 yards, they opted to throw a Hail Mary. The huge play attempt was unsuccessful and the teams entered halftime 14-14.

It seemed as though the momentum had completely shifted after the halftime break. Central again scored first in the quarter with another touchdown pass, but DGN did not respond with any points. All of the Trojans’ third-quarter drives were unsuccessful, the worst of which ending in an interception. Central added a field goal with 25 seconds left in the quarter.

The fourth quarter began and Red Devils scored a touchdown with 7:44 left to play, they missed the extra point which made their total an even 30 points to the Trojans 14 at that point, Central had scored 16 straight since halftime. DGN was able to score one more time before the game ended as Reichert found receiver Carter Ratcliff for a 33-yard touchdown with 6:45 left. The Trojans’ attempt at a 2-pt conversion was unsuccessful and the game ended in a 30-20 Hinsdale victory as DGN fell to 4-2.

DGN is back at home this week against Glenbard West, the Sun-Times’ 9th ranked team in Illinois. The Hilltoppers were just handed their first loss of the year to conference rival York. DGN has not beaten Glenbard since 2006, they scored just 10 points in the loss but were previously averaging 55.6 points against opponents before the York game. Glenbard showed weakness but will undoubtedly be looking to destroy DGN and reassert their dominance over the conference and state.