Bull’s Board Corner: May 3

District 99

FROM UP ABOVE: future DGN principal Courtney DeMent peers down into the new commons area from a third floor window turing a tour of the campus.

Sam Bull, Editor-in-Chief

Hey, students. This is a series of news updates by me, Omega Editor-in-Chief and District 99 Board of Education Student Representative Sam Bull, that is designed to inform you, the DGN student body, of the most relevant changes, decisions, and updates from the most recent Board of Education meeting. In other words: this is exactly what you need to know from every Board meeting.

A short and sweet Board meeting tonight consisted mainly of saying goodbye to two retiring Board members and welcoming two new ones. Board members Dan Nicholas and Rick Pavinato ended their four and eight-year services, respectively, while Christopher Espinoza and Jennie Hagstrom took their official oaths to become Board members.

School Year Update:

Superintendent Hank Thiele mentioned that he has been working with other superintendents to advocate for changes to the contact tracing protocols in place at the state levels, but that it seems like the higher governments are unwilling to budge at the current time.

He added that the district is continuing to prepare for a more traditional return in the fall with as close to “pre-pandemic” conditions as possible.

Master Facility Plan Update: 

A group of staff members, administrators, Board members, and Wight construction company CEO Mark Wight (a DGS alum) toured the DGN and DGS campuses recently to view the newest updates to the Master Facility Plan renovations. See above for pictures.