Humans of DGN: Gina Liu Design

Photos provided by Gina Liu

UP-AND-COMING: Freshman Gina Liu has turned her passion for art into a design business.

Allie Emmet, A&E Editor

“Quarantine inspired me to create more designs digitally and to get into graphic design,“ said Freshman Gina Liu. “It’s also what gave me enough free time to start my business and the opportunity to expand my art.” Her business, Gina Liu Design, started with designing logos for other small companies and friends. Now, she sells products with her own custom designs, which include merchandise like stickers, notebooks, stationery, and gift tags. 

As someone who has always been artistic, Liu has taken her interest to the next level.  She says starting a business has helped her art in ways she didn’t even expect.

“It started kind of slow because I was still stuck on what I wanted to do because I didn’t know what style I was going for,” Liu said. “But, then as I went on, and my friends and family started supporting me, I started to find what I wanted to design. It has gotten me in a good rhythm where now I can sit down and design something in a couple of minutes.”

Liu has grown her following on social media and fellow DGN students have taken notice. Junior Lauren Dry purchased from Gina Liu Design and recommends it to others.

“I bought a custom-made sticker from Gina. I got it as a birthday present for a friend and it was an inside joke. I heard from Gina’s business through her Instagram, which she runs really well,” Dry said.

Other students, like freshman Pallavi Fisher, agree with Dry and believe it’s a great thing to help growing companies during this time in a pandemic.

“As larger companies continue to grow, it becomes even more important to support small businesses to keep them afloat,” Fisher said. “Not only that, but you can tell each purchase really means a lot to them. Gina works so hard, and her efforts should not go unnoticed.”

Liu’s business, however, is not the only focus of her art. She is a member of clubs for which she produces designs, such as Art Club. Art Club Sponsor Amy Bernard recognizes Liu’s talent.

“Gina’s art is neat and tidy, with great craftsmanship and attention to detail. I especially loved her Holiday Card submission,” Bernard said. “She created four cards and they looked like something you could buy in a high-end boutique.” 

Empowerment Club is also a big inspiration for Liu, as she is very interested in sustainability. She took this passion and has created artwork to help with the promotion of club events. Social Media Lead of Empowerment Club Audrey Lee speaks on how this benefitted the club.

“I think posting Gina’s artwork on the Empowerment Club Instagram was able to attract more participation in our Stomp Out The Wildfires project,” Lee said. “The designs she made caught the eye of not only our members but the general public who saw her art and wanted to be a part of such a fun and important event.”

Liu plans to continue designing for her business and DGN clubs, but she also is excited to broaden her work as well.

“I do hope to communicate with the school and community and reach my designs out to projects in this area. For the new year, all I want to do is reach more people and continue with my designs,” Liu said.

Visit Gina Liu Design on Instagram.