Review: Taylor Swift — “Evermore”

Photo by Allie Emmet

SURPRISE!: Taylor Swift gifts fans with her second album made in quarantine, “Evermore”.

Allie Emmet, A&E Editor

Unexpectedly, Taylor Swift announced her 9th studio album, Evermore, the morning of the day of release. As a “present” to her listeners for her 31st birthday, she produced yet another  surprise quarantine album; a sister album to Folklore. The theme of both albums is classic Swift storytelling. This is a new era of stories though, especially with the even further developed storylines and characters created by Swift in Evermore.

This album seems to include even more stories than number of songs on the record, as each song explores a multitude of emotions and characters. Swift connects songs together and intertwines the different points of view throughout the whole record. For example, tracks “Champagne Problems” and “‘Tis the Damn Season” seem to present the viewpoint of “Dorothea”. They tell the story of a girl and her relationship with her hometown and the people from it. “Dorothea” itself seemingly presents the perspective of her high school sweetheart.

The song writing is what makes the album what it is. The complex, interwoven nature of the record could simply not be achieved without Swift’s masterful way with words and storytelling. It’s also unique because of the additional expertise provided through her collaboration with Jack Antonoff, Aaron Dessner, and Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon.

However, her talent also shines through in the stories that are not make-believe. “Marjorie” tells of her relationship with her grandmother before and after death. This song is connected to Folklore’s “Epiphany”, a song dedicated to her grandfather. Equally heartwarming and tear-jerking, she captures the devastation of losing a loved one in a beautiful light. Her detailed imagery and intricate narratives immerse the listener into the world of the song and make it a personal experience for everyone who listens. 

After releasing the album, Swift said on Instagram, “I have no idea what will come next. I have no idea about a lot of things these days and so I’ve clung to the one thing that keeps me connected to you all. That thing always has and always will be music. And may it continue, evermore.” So, it is safe to say that another surprise album may not be so out of reach.