October athlete of the month: Gianna Cappello

Photo courtesy of Gianna Cappello via Lifetouch

SWIMMING WITH STYLE: Freshman swimmer Gianna Cappello did it all at sectionals this year

Jake Morgan, Sports Editor

Due to Covid-19, not many sports are being played this fall. However, girls Swim & Dive was lucky to have a season, and Freshman Gianna Cappello was dominating the competition during the month of October. 

No matter what sport you play, being a Freshman on varsity is usually pretty nerve-wracking, but that didn’t play a factor in Cappello’s performance. 

“Normally, I compete against people in my age group, so as a freshman, it was a big challenge to race against the older and more experienced swimmers.” Cappello said, she later added, “It felt great, and it was really exciting to see all of the hard work pay off.” 

Cappello was dominating at sectionals this year, finishing first in the 200-yard freestyle and second in the 500-yard freestyle, good enough to put DGN in second place overall. 

“I wanted to get personal best times, get a state-qualifying time, and get points for the team,” Cappello said. Obviously, those were all accomplished, as Cappello would’ve been heading to state if not for Covid-19. 

With such a historic past for the DGN swim and dive team, it was important that Cappello made her mark right away. 

“I worked really hard at practices and had my teammates to push me, as well as my coach, who made sure we were all ready to do our best at meets,” Cappello said. 

Overall, leading DGN to second place at sectionals as well as qualifying for state, it was a pretty exciting October for Gianna, as she looks to put up similar numbers next year as a sophomore.