Renovations Incoming: What To Expect

Patrick Brooks, A&E Editor

Beginning this summer, the school will be commencing phase one of a three-year renovations plan. One of the rooms slated to be completely rebuilt before the beginning of the next school year will be the radio room.

“I’m very excited about the renovations, it’s been 30 some years since the room has been redone, so it’s time for some new carpet and stuff,” TV and radio teacher John Waite said.

The Radio and TV groups have had their fair share of challenges due to aging technology, including the antenna breaking.

With renovations coming this summer, one of the most useful changes for TV and Radio are the upgrades to technology. On top of new technology making it easier to keep everything in working order, it also allows for more students to use the space for recording music and videos.

“I think [the renovations] gives us more flexibility in how we use our space. It’s really taking a look at within our walls how can we redesign the space so it better accommodates learning, better accommodates our students and our staff,” said associate Principal for operations and technology Ken Sorensen.

DGN is using the money from the referendum not to expand the school, but to instead is to help adapt the school to modern needs.

“Currently we’re still using a lot of the analog equipment, and so the plan is to upgrade it all to digital equipment,” Waite said.

The renovations happening this summer will bring much-needed updates to the radio and TV room, making it less likely for radio to go offline because something breaks, or for TV to be held back from projects because of dated technology.

“It will modernize [the building] it will still basically be the same but it will be with current equipment because the older stuff is harder to replace, less reliable, and more expensive. We’ll be able to do the same things just with newer equipment,” Waite said. A prime example of the aging of equipment would be the antenna. “During the winter, excessive ice would cause energy to go back in the system so we weren’t able to go on those days. We have bought a new antenna. Our transmitter right now is 25 years old, and the lifespan of that transmitter is eight years,” Waite said.

The new changes coming to Radio and TV will breathe new life into a unique program DGN offers. With newer technology being introduced into the classroom more projects are sure to be coming in the future.

“I think it will positively impact the culture of our building,” Sorensen said. As the years go by and the renovations become more sweeping through the building, these effects will be more widely seen.