• April 19Danielle Wilder becomes new varsity Athenas coach

• March 31Girls’ soccer: Crosstown Classic between DGN and DGS ends in 1-1 draw

• March 21Girls’ soccer: Varsity wins Elk Grove Tournament for second-straight year, defeats York 2-1

Terminology with the times makes dress code more realistic

Sidney Lee, Editor-In-Chief

Everyday, students would stare at themselves in the mirror wondering if they would be dress coded before heading off to school. Now with an updated dress code, students won’t have to read between the lines in order to know what is appropriate for school and what is not.

In previous years, the DGN and DGS handbook included a long list of clothing items that were considered breaking dress code including, “spaghetti straps” and “loose fitting tank tops.” Since the handbook was last updated, there have been many changes in fashion and terminology for clothing.

Number two under the dress guidelines in the handbook has been revised to read, “Modesty is always appropriate. Students are to wear garments with appropriate coverage. For example, clothes that are revealing such as exposed underwear, see-through clothing, exposed stomachs, or backs, and low cut tops are considered inappropriate.”

I believe the word choice and simplicity of the new dress code will clear up any discrepancies students may have when deciding if their attire is appropriate. Spaghetti straps used to refer to a camisole top, but now a perfectly appropriate sundress may have spaghetti straps.

By eliminating the examples from the guidelines, the terminology now reflects the clothes of today.

Because the handbooks were printed before the code was updated, they do not contain the new dress guidelines, however the updated version will be changed in the online handbook.