Give traditional newspapers a chance

Abbe Murphy, Print Editor-in-Chief

Dear media consumer,

I know that we have been going through a rough patch in our relationship, and I just want to make amends. You think that I haven’t been the most reliable partner but, news flash, I’m a heck of a lot better than your new sweetheart. You’re trying to leave me for some sketchy click-bait news site you found on Facebook just because she tells you what you want to hear. You may not always like what I have to say, but I tell the truth, so please, Baby, don’t let me go.

Times are changing, but that doesn’t mean we have to. According to MSNBC, 62 percent of Americans claim they get their news from social media, where lousy news sites like your new honey are constantly trending. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg claims that the notion that his website connects consumers with sites like the lover you’re trying to replace me with is “a pretty crazy idea.” Our country relies on news outlets like me to report accurately, and if you leave me in the dust, who knows what will happen? I may not give you what you want but I give you what you deserve: the truth.

Is it because I’m not always the best at seeing both sides? I really do try to be unbaised, but I’m far from perfect. I’m written by humans, for heaven’s sake. If you are mad at me for not being perfect, just look at who you’re trying to replace me with. According to a Buzzfeed article, the top 20 performing fake election articles gained over a million more shares, comments and reactions than the top 20 performing legitimate election articles. The point of reporting the news is to inform accuractley, so there is no point if the news organization people trust are full of lies. I may not be as popular as your two-faced sweetheart, but I promise that I’ll treat you better than she ever will. You need to realize who has your best interest at heart here.

Is it because I don’t always draw you in? Fake news sites are constantly trying to lure you in, whispering sweet nothings in the form of click-bait headlines like “Pope endorses Donald Trump” and “Jay-Z, Beyonce buy the rights to Confederate Flag”. But I’m telling you, my honesty in our relationship is better than her flashy headlines and fake sources any day.

Without your love and support, my future looks pretty bleak. With more and more people like you falling for fake news , what lies ahead for traditional news is unclear.
Off the record, you actually need me more than I need you. Because yeah, I’ve got more issues than the New York Times and I don’t always tell you what you want to hear, but our relationship is crucial for our country. Ditch that ugly site you found on Facebook and stay with me.

Sincerely,
The traditional newspaper

Abbe Murphy, Print Editor-in-Chief

This is Abbe’s third year on staff. When Abbe isn’t teaching someone how to use In Design or fixing picas, she can be found hurdling with the track...