Novice to nationals

Senior Rachel Leucuta awarded scholarship to play golf at Central Michigan University

Kileen Dietrich, Sports Editor

Senior Rachel Leucuta had never played golf before her freshman year, but just last week, she committed to play at Central Michigan.

“Freshman year I was awful, I shot 100 for 18 holes and now I’m shooting mid 70’s, Leucuta said.

Now, she is leading the girls varsity golf team at DGN after qualifying for state last year both individually and as a team.

“It took a lot of hard work, it’s not an easy sport to just pick up, especially freshman year,” Leucuta said.

Leucuta has practiced enough to far surpass the average driver hit for women, which is around 140 yards.

“I can hit my driver probably around 225 [yards] normally,” Leucuta said.

As for her routine before hitting, Leucuta sticks with a two swing strategy.

“Normally I’ll take about two swings, and I’ll pick a spot out in the distance where I want to aim and just go ahead and hit the ball,” Leucuta said.

In her last tournament two weeks ago, Leucuta shot 78 and came in 8th place overall.

“I shot six over par,” Leucuta said.

Leucuta has spent three summers as well as the majority of the spring working on her skills.

“Everyday over the summer I went out and worked on hitting, chipping, and putting,” Leucuta said, “I see my coach any possible time I can.”

Leucuta has been training at Broken Arrow golf course in Lockport for three years with PGA Golf Professional Mike Camastro.

“We focus on every aspect of her game; Full swing drills, and most importantly her scoring game from 100 yards and in,” Camastro said, “Using our Sam Putt Lab, we’re able to zone in on her putting stroke.”

Camastro has been teaching and coaching players such as Leucuta since 1999. He has coached dozens of young golfer’s around the midwest to the point of achieving their golfing goals and helping them to earn college scholarships for golf.

“She [Leucuta] is a dedicated, hard working individual who makes a decision and sticks to it,” Camastro said, “She is an inspiration to my other student’s in the Players Elite Golf Academy, they all want to be like her.”