Boys’ volleyball uses themes to succeed

Wyatt Effrein, Sports Editor

The boys’ varsity volleyball team finished the season with a second place finish in conference after losing to Glenbard West. They also adopted an interesting pre-game tradition. Most sports teams at DGN dress formally or in spirit wear, but the boys’ volleyball team has taken that tradition to a completely different level.
To start off the season the players decided to grow mullets and every time the team has a game on a weekday the players come up with extravagant themes to come to school dressed up in.

For example, they have had Hawaiian, preppy, dad, and golf themed dress up days where every player is decked out in clothing that fits that particular theme.

“Dressing up in the different themes has been a blast and students and faculty look forward to see what we’ll wear next. It’s crazy the kinds of things some of my teammates can pull out of their closets or off the clothing racks at Savers but it is absolutely hilarious,” senior Bryan Eckmann said.

Not only has the tradition been entertaining and fun for the guys but also it may have helped them win. On top of being second in conference, they beat the five seed in their sectional, Benet Academy, during the regular season.

“The tradition has totally brought the team together. On dress up days, everyone tries to out do everyone else. It’s something the whole team looks forward to,” senior captain Ben Goodell said.

In addition to getting all decked out in different clothing, the guys have also played volleyball together for quite some time.
Most of the seniors have played on the same team since seventh grade including their club seasons and all four years of high school, so this year is extra special to them having seven senior players on their roster.

“We’ve been able to see everyone become better players throughout the years. Since it’s our last year we want to go out with a bang and do as well as we can,” Goodell said.

This tradition has been going in practices for more than seven years with sleveless Mondays, tank top Tuesdays, and short shorts Fridays. The main thing that varsity head coach Mark Wasik asks is that they keep it school appropriate and that the boys all agree on one theme.

“I am certain the tradition will continue, it just depends on to what extent as this group seems to be particularly unified and creative thanks to the leadership and buy-in from our current senior class,” Wasik said.

The varsity team is 22-12 and earned a 10 seed out of 26 teams in the St. Francis sectional. They will begin playoffs on May 23 against Wheaton North High School at St. Francis High School in Wheaton at 7:30 p.m..