Jeff Grant first to win Golden Apple at DGN in 21 years

Claire Marino, In-Depth Editor

Cameras flashed on Monday, April 11 as science teacher Jeff Grant walked into room 306. Grant was surprised with signs and praise from students, faculty, and press as he received the Golden Apple award.
“He absolutely deserves this award and I would consider myself very fortunate to have known him and had him as my teacher,” senior Megan Geraghty said.

Every year, Golden Apple Foundation chooses 10 outstanding teachers to receive this prestigious award. As a winner, Grant earned a $5,000 cash endowment, and a tuition-free spring quarter sabbatical to study at Northwestern University.

In addition, he is now a fellow of the Golden Apple Academy of Educators, giving him a stronger voice and larger stage to help make a difference in education.

“While Mr. Grant can fully appreciate this award as an affirmation of all that he has accomplished and all he has done for students, he also sees it as a tremendous opportunity to network with high level teachers and professionals, to open up doors of opportunities for students, for other science department teachers, and for the North community at large.” science chairperson Michael Heinz said.

Growing up, Grant never believed that teaching would become his passion. Grant is a 1998 graduate of DGN and started teaching here in 2003. He holds a bachelor’s degree in secondary education from DePauw University and a masters in the art of teaching from Aurora University.

“My father was a teacher for a long time, and I always was cognisant of what he was doing on a daily basis: sitting at the table grading papers and being very much into his kids’ progress. He was always trying to make a fun learning atmosphere for his students,” Grant said.

Grant also aknowledges his mentors inside and outside the classroom.

“You learn the most if you stand on the shoulders of giants” Grant said, quoting Isaac Newton. “If you don’t do that sort of thing, you can never really define who you are and the potential that you have. I’ve had some amazing giants to stand on, not only in science, but in teaching as well.”

Grant is a curricular leader and brought back the science course Anatomy and Physiology.

“Mr. Grant’s lectures on even the most boring of subjects are pun-filled, engaging, and entertaining, while still being informative and clearly explaining the subject. I don’t think that I have ever been in his class on a day that he didn’t give the students 100%. He is fair and open-minded and always sets the student up for success,” Geraghty said.

When Grant has a student in class who doesn’t particularly enjoy science, he works his hardest to change that.

“I’m going to change your perspective. If you don’t like biology, I take that as a personal challenge, in a very positive way,” Grant said.

Grant also makes it a priority to connect with his students on a personal level.
“Mr. Grant is always available to help me with whatever I am struggling with. I have sat down with him one-on-one and talked through decisions I was making at the time or particular parts of the class that I don’t understand. I know that all of my classmates appreciate his efforts and commitment to being a great teacher,” senior Heidi Kutchek said about being a student in Grant’s AP Biology class.

As for next year, Grant plans to take classes on paid leave at Northwestern in the spring. He is leaning towards the courses in their partnership with the Chicago Botanical Gardens, and computer sciences.