No Wi-Fi, no problem

Katie Callaghan, Editor-in-Chief

Students should stop complaining about the unavailabilty of Wi-Fi for personal devices. Instead of looking at a phone, interact and socialize with the people nearby.

Who cares what’s going on in cyberspace when there is a real person in the desk a few feet away. Maybe the person next to you knows the solution to fixing your iPhone instead of depending on a YouTube tutorial.

No Wi-Fi seems like a teenagers’ worst nightmare, but it shouldn’t be a big deal. Most of the people that students electronically follow are in school, so stop worrying about what the next Snapchat story will be. Go ‘old-school’ and write a handwritten note to slip in a close friend’s locker.

With students’ eyes constantly glued to a screen, not having an internet connection will hopefully help reduce screen time. With 55.5% of students using their phones less, according to an anonymous Omega survey of 445 students, not only will everyone’s eyes be thankful, but maybe focusing on school will actually be important. Even though sometimes I wish school was like Starbucks with free internet, remember that school is where education, instead of worrying about an internet connection, should be occurring.

Some students may complain that if they ever had an emergency they would have no way to contact their parents. In reality, if students ever did have a true emergency, they could easily talk to one of the many staff members in the school to contact their parents in a timely matter. As a high schooler, students tend to like the separation from their parents for eight hours a day.

Yes, sometimes it is very important to tell your classmate across the school how bad your lab glasses looked last period, so Google Hangout is an a option to share this necessary information. Although this may appeal to many students, personally, I’d feel uncomfortable with messaging over a school-owned account. If students really need to talk, they see each other in the hallway, make eye contact, and actually say hello.

So, stop searching for an internet connection and put the phone down. Take a break for once and enjoy the technology-free moments, because staring at a screen all day takes away opportunities for human interaction.