The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Proviso West beats DGN with last second buzzer beater

On Friday, Dec. 5 the Trojan basketball team played Proviso West at home in the purple gym. The game was close throughout the first three quarters but in the beginning of the fourth quarter the Panthers hit consecutive three point shots to take a ten point lead. With two minutes left in the game the Panthers had control. A turnover by the Trojans led to a fast break opportunity for Proviso. Senior guard Noah Isacson hustled down the court and blocked the Panther player’s attempt at a dunk which shifted the momentum in favor of the Trojans. With ten seconds left in the game, the Trojans were down 55-53. The Trojans inbounded the ball and drove down the court. The ball was passed out to junior Devin Blake beyond the three point line. Blake took the shot and made it with 2.1 seconds left and it gave the Trojans a 56-55 lead.

Proviso West called a timeout to regroup and develop a strategy for the last play of the game. The Panthers inbounded the ball  to their senior guard Khalil Walker who dribbled to the half court line and chucked up a long shot. Walker’s shot hit the backboard and went in as the buzzer went off signaling the end of the game. Proviso West won the game 58-56 and the handed the Trojans their first conference loss of the season.

Jake Stevenson | Sports Editor

[email protected]