The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

DGN makes a splash with spring musical

PART+OF+YOUR+WORLD%3A+Sydney+Miller+%2812%29+takes+the+stage+in+the+opening+song+of+The+Little+Mermaid.+
Meaghan Wernett
PART OF YOUR WORLD: Sydney Miller (12) takes the stage in the opening song of The Little Mermaid.

From the second the show began, Ariel, played by Sydney Miller, captivated the audience’s attention with her mesmerizing voice. A rush of childhood nostalgia flooded over me as Ariel sang her opening ballad. The audience was transported to the magical deep blue ocean, with the sun shining on the horizon. From the enthralling performances to the sparkling sea creatures, DGN’s production of “The Little Mermaid” offered an impressive rendition of the classic tale. 

One of the most memorable parts of the production was the elaborate and astonishing set design. Whether the scene took place in the depths of the ocean or within the walls of Prince Eric’s castle, the bright colors, and realistic design carried the audience away to the fictional land. 

The cast brought the lovable and classic characters to life with vibrancy and excitement. The cast matched their roles to a tee, as seen in the cynical personalities of Ursula’s sidekicks, Flotsam and Jetsam, portrayed by Tana Purcell and Kate France and in the hilarious role of Scuttle the seagull played by Zach Landman. I was particularly swept away by Caleb McCloud’s (Prince Eric) vocal abilities. While he is no stranger to the stage, having appeared in three plays, “The Little Mermaid” was McClouds first ever musical production. 

Miller and McClouds stage chemistry was radiant, and entrancing. Whether it was during “Kiss the Girl” or just a quick scene shared together on stage, the audience could feel the connection. In addition to the performers, the live pit orchestra carried the story of Eric and Ariel falling in love wonderfully. Even in a musical piece with no words, the audience felt the romance through the instruments. 

While a majority of the audience was familiar with the classic Disney plot, DGN theater found a refreshing way to keep us on the edge of our seats. The musical offered a variety of new songs and scenes, but still pleased anyone who grew up loving the traditional tale of Ariel. The most exciting new song was “Daddy’s Little Angel” where Ursula, (Brianna Cappello) put on a cruel and bewitching performance taunting Ariel. The new song added an extra edge to Ursula’s character making the audience despise her even more. 

The costumes were very clever, each sea creature bright and clearly identifiable. Birds had large feathers, the mer-sisters had beautiful tails with matching corset tops, and Sebastian had a vibrant red suit. The costumes matched the vivid musical, and added some additional color to underwater scenes. 

DGNs production of “The Little Mermaid” was a show to remember. The talent was evident, the show was sweetly nostalgic, and the set/costume design was very impressive.