The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Student songwriters compose masterpieces

WONDER+WORKS%3A+a+collection+of+James+and+Hamelkas+newest+online+publications+
WONDER WORKS: a collection of James and Hamelka’s newest online publications

Musical composition, an amalgam of any and all musical components, is a daring task taken upon by only a handful of talented individuals here at DGN. Whether it’s for the Illinois Music Education Association (ILMEA) State title, publishing to online streamers such as Spotify or Apple Music, or performed to a live audience, there is much to be admired for those vulnerable enough to put themselves out to the public through this creative writing avenue.

Freshman Vivian James, an active member of the DGN Choir, has recently taken an extra step in her fine art involvement by writing, recording, and not only publishing but performing her own works. Most notably, James made her public debut homecoming week this year. James had performed at both the annual talent show and the homecoming dance.
James has dreamed of the pop star life since she was a kid, and has been surrounded with people such as her father or uncle who are also performers and songwriters, almost making music second nature. At an early age, James would hum the melodies of her own original tunes, and eventually began work with producers on bringing these songs to life.

Senior Sophie Hamelka has composed ever since fourth grade after receiving a ukulele. Once she learned the basics, she was off running and immediately started writing her first original song. Ever since, she has been ramping up her production quality up until she reached the point she’s at now.

Doing so has given her the ability to participate in the ILMEA festival at the state level for composition for the last three years of high school. As a high schooler, qualifying for state can be seen as the highest official ranking your musical capabilities can take you. She’s worked privately with a tutor for the production of her songs while she deals with the music.
This year specifically, her song “Failed Relationship” has reached new heights in success, giving her the opportunity to perform the song at this year’s ILMEA festival’s performances. Due to a last minute sickness, Hamelka wasn’t able to perform the tune. However, she has finally decided to post her pieces to the public.

According to both James and Hamelka, if you want to write, take inspiration from you and your life, and make something true to yourself.