The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Ghostlight Theater Company spreads joy during holiday season

CM Stage Photography

The DG Ghostlight Educational Theater hosted Elf Jr the Musical Dec. 7-10. The production involved kids ranging from kindergarten to fifth grade, and brought smiles to the audience and excitement for the actors.

Ghostlight has been preparing shows for years, but this was officially the company’s first holiday production. Directors and staff decided on Elf Jr, due to their past performances and experience with the show. 

“We wanted to do a show before the holidays. We’ve directed it before, so we were like it’s gotta be Elf. And it’s one of my favorite movies,” Artistic Director Micki Doherty said.

Doherty played a big role in making Elf Jr a memorable and unique show. Doherty has been working with kids for 24 years and has always had a passion for theater. She hopes to pass her love for performance along to her students. 

“I love watching kids saying ‘I can’t’ and realize they ‘can.’ This takes guts,” Micki Doherty said. 

As a part of the crew, junior and niece of Micki Doherty Emily Doherty connects with the students and company while filling the role as the costume designer. While having a family member being a director in the program, she still gets to be more hands on with the production and collaborative with the staff. 

“I love to do this. At Ghostlight, we’re all kind of like a family. It’s just awesome that we can put on shows like this, now that we’re the older kids to help out,” Emily Doherty said. “The kids are amazing. It can be a little stressful sometimes just like during the shows, but afterwards when they give you that big hug and giant smile it’s all worth it.” 

Parents can’t help but notice the joy and excitement their children show while performing with Ghostlight. A sense of comfortability and passion for theater radiates across the stage. 

“I think the parents of any kid who wants to try theater in any aspect should find a place that makes their kids feel special, whether it’s Ghostlight or another theater company,” parent of students in Ghostlight Heather Follstad said. “We just keep doing a show every year because our girls love it.”

The company gives students a chance to embrace confidence in theater. They honor them with an empowering involvement with the arts.

“It just gives the kids such a great outlet for them to be creative and be their own unique self,” Follstad said.