The student news site of Downers Grove North High School

Omega After Hours Ep. 5 - Adios, After Hours
Meaghan Wernett, Owen Halfpenny, and Avery PawlakMay 22, 2024

Episode 5 - Adios, After Hours: Owen and Avery close out the year and recap the Omega's Senior Issue, reflecting on the successful year coming...

DGN welcomes english department chairperson
Owen Halfpenny, A&E Editor • May 10, 2024

Starting July 1, Community High School District 99’s Board of Education has approved Katie Wood to take over the position of DGN’s English...

A conversation with local celebrity Coach Josh
Giulia Karrow, Feature Editor • May 10, 2024

Local celebrity Josh Porter, better known as “Coach Josh,” has played a role in many D99 students’ childhoods. Any kid in the Downers Grove...

Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
Senior Assassin 2024 Recap
May 10, 2024

Senior Assassin 2024 had it all: betrayal, deception, and ultimately three winners, seniors Jake Solecki, Reegan Lamantia, and Sydney Hnatiuk,...

Driving diversity: Woodridge hosts first Diwali festival

Me
DANCING FOR DIWALI: Young performers showcase traditional dance in Woodridge.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Owi9L8AZs1s2exmbjxW3XtxPNDSy70WJ/view?usp=drive_link
Meaghan Wernett

Diwali, also known as the “Festival of Lights,” is a holiday that celebrates the triumph of good over evil. The celebration is adjacent to Christmas for people of the Hindu religion, and is held according to the darkest day of the lunar year on the Hindu calendar. The holiday is meant to bring people together.

This year, Diwali (also known as Deepavali) was held Sunday, Nov. 12. Hindu Monk Swami Ishatmananda spoke about the history of the holiday and the importance it holds.

“The event brings everyone together and it is a very beautiful thing. The festival is about seeing light in darkness. We need to stop fighting each other over religion. We feel that we are different because of the color of our skin and the culture, but actually we are all the same,”Ishatmananda said. “Constantly fighting and arguing with each other is a thing animals do, not humans. We should all have love; why wait for heaven to come together when we can do it on Earth right now.”

The holiday is celebrated with lights, food, fireworks, singing, dancing, and rangoli (an art drawn on the floor of homes that is typically made of colored
sand). The Village of Woodridge put on its first-ever Diwali celebration at the Community Center Nov. 12.

“I think it is great that Woodridge is doing this. I brought my two daughters here because since they are raised in America, they can lose the part of their culture that they would have had if they lived in India. So, celebrations like these are really important for me and my family,” attendee Prithwi Chowdhury said.

Athena Chark

The celebration included dancers and singers who performed. One of these performances came from two young girls who sang with an Indian band.

“It takes us about a month to practice and learn the music. It is nice because I
am able to sing American music when I am at school, but when I come here I can sing Indian songs that people only in my culture appreciate. The best is when I get to bring my friends from school to events like these and see my two worlds collide,” singer Anavi Ghosh said.

There has been a push recently in Woodridge for inclusion of all diversities in the community. In 2022, Woodridge created a Human Relations Advisory Committee, a committee that focuses on equity for all people in the community. Assistant Principal of Student Services Erin Ludwick, was selected to be a part of the committee.

“My doctorate is in equity and inclusion in education, so I’m always looking for opportunities to kind of further that work. When so much of the work I do in diversity and equity and inclusion is in the school, it’s really interesting for me to sit in a public board, to talk about what villages and cities are doing. It has been really powerful,” Ludwick said.

The park district hit its maximum capacity, proving the success of the event. Woodridge hopes to continue hosting celebrations like this to further their inclusion of everyone in the community.