• April 19Danielle Wilder becomes new varsity Athenas coach

• March 31Girls’ soccer: Crosstown Classic between DGN and DGS ends in 1-1 draw

• March 21Girls’ soccer: Varsity wins Elk Grove Tournament for second-straight year, defeats York 2-1

STAFF EDITORIAL

Teen activism is underestimated by elders

Gayu Menon, News Editor

After the shooting in Parkland, Florida, students all over the country have been empowered to stand up for gun regulation. An act that no one saw coming has made a substantial difference in society proving to adults that we, teenagers, are actually capable of implementing change.

Students rallied and protested at the State Capitol in Florida demanding politicians for change regarding the sale of assault style rifles. Just a week after the shooting, CNN hosted a town hall meeting where students and family members put politicians and NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch on the spot by asking them about assault rifle bans and the money provided by the NRA.

These actions, such as questioning powerful politicians, take a lot of courage and just this alone is outstanding for high school students. Yet, sometimes our generation is called lazy due to our attachment to social media and technology.

The irony behind these protests is the fact that adults all over the world thought that our generation was not capable of achieving change. This is due to our extensive use of social media and our love for our phones. While the love and use of phones and social media still remains intact, we think adults have judged us too fast. If our generation is as lazy as they think we are, we could have never implemented a change that politicians took seriously.

It is important that everyone sees the difference we are trying to make. It is time that people take us seriously because, contrary to popular belief, we care about things other than our Instagram and Twitter feed. Our message has been heard and it has been stronger than ever so we want to thank our peers for setting a precedent.